Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Weekly Walk With Me

What an exhausting holiday party season.  Mine finally ended today at a New Year open house.  In no particular order:

 7 Things I Love About Holiday Party Season


1. That one lady who thinks her Christmas sweater isn't tacky or ironic because it's black and might even have faux fur on it.  She got it at Stein Mart instead of Sears and pairs it with a black skirt and black nylons.  She has stylish older lady short hair and wears classic minimal make-up and diamond stud earrings.  You know this lady.  She might even be your Mom, or Aunt Doreen.  But she's still an old lady in an old lady Christmas sweater.

2. Champagne.  I love that people only drink champagne when there are string lights involved in some capacity.  In two months time I've had champagne with cherries, champagne with strawberries, champagne with OJ, champagne with bitters, and drank it straight from the bottle.  I drank champagne in the shower, I shared some with dogs, and even splashed some into my french toast custard.

3. Hanukkah trees.

4. Jacquard cigarette pants.  Got me through lunch dates and even a mid-day, day after Christmas gay wedding.  Everyone should have at least one pair.  Everyone.

5. This flawless jewel-toned smokey eye.  To be used only if you're dead serious about talking to strangers and being handed cocktails.  It's no joke, trust me on this.

Because this is what it looks like the morning after.

Bring a change of clothes, because I know you're gonna wanna wake up beside me.

6. That guy who wears a green and red plaid jacket or bow tie.  He tries to pretend that he never drank light beer before the craft brewery boom and he talks about that one time he traveled out of the country. Fifteen years ago.  With his high school class.  One of your friends probably went home with him, and he was wearing white athletic socks with his oxblood ankle boots.

7. Cheese straws.  Everybody who has a home party always has a cheese straw to offer.  And every one of those people always claims to have made them.  Now I do love to cook, and probably will throw something homemade your way if you find yourself at Chez White Girl for a drink.  I also know how to read a recipe, and admittedly the recipe for cheese straws is simple enough.  But I'm telling you, I have attempted them at home and it is no small feat. So I know you didn't make those fucking cheese straws, you bought them at World Market or Trader Joe's just like any other asshole.

No comments :

Post a Comment