Friday, February 20, 2015

We walked in the garden, we planted a tree...

I don't sleep in anymore.  There was a time when I'd wake up at noon and get my day started around 2 or so. These days I wake up around 7, get some "morning things" done, and treat myself to a second sleep.  Because morning things are exhausting. And because I feel like
second sleep will prevent me from being an in bed at 8:30, up at 4am kind of old lady.  There are also just some things that drive you right back into bed, even on your birthday weekend.  Case in point:

The temperature with wind chill in my neck of the woods is 5 today.  Five. As in only halfway to 10 and the minimum age to begin your very first year of public school. The first words I heard this morning shortly before noon were "it's like pulling weeds from a garden. Your womb is a garden." Padma Lakshmi told me this. Fucking gross.  This was clearly not Top Chef. Suddenly my breakfast of everything bagel and leftover Prosecco didn't seem very appealing. Then Whoopi Goldberg proceeded to make a mockery of fashion week and everything I believe in while wearing Cheetah. Print. Crocs. I was beginning to completely abandon all faith in a higher power when something delicious happened.

Breaking news out of Richmond, VA-Maureen McDonnell, former First Lady of the Commonwealth is sentenced for corruption charges.  While not a fan of the McDonnell clan, this is not why I'm revelling. I normally don't celebrate other's misfortunes.  OK I do, but in this case said corruption against the commonwealth was such child's play that I can't bring myself to care.  What I do love is a scandal.  If you are not familiar with the whole sordid tale do some googling, I'm not writing for Politico here.  The gist of it is the McDonnells' accepted gifts, monetary and otherwise from Jonnie Williams, a businessman, in exchange for support from the Governor's camp to endorse some vitamins. Basically. There were some other indiscretions as far as state property that had nothing to do with him, but the real meat is ol' Maureen and her affair with Jonnie.  Vacations, Rolex watches, he even sprang for Maureen's anniversary gifts to Bob. Tawdry!

The highlights for me-the shallow stuff that really matters:

1. There is a grown ass man who still chooses to be called Jonnie.  He does not play guitar for a living or distill scotch.

2. This is Maureen and Jonnie in 2011.
Michaele White/Governor's Office

3. This is Maureen in 2015. Less than four years later, see how they have fallen. Star Scientific clearly doesn't specialize in anti-aging treatments.
4. And finally this quote from this morning's proceedings;

"I am the one who allowed the serpent into the mansion. The venom has poisoned my family...and the Commonwealth."

Shonda Rhimes couldn't even write this melodrama.  Maureen gave me everything! Today is going to be biblical.

No comments :

Post a Comment